Thursday, May 12, 2011

Reversals of Fortune, or, A Completely Foreseeable Twist of Fate

That lasted all of 40 hours. We just couldn't do it. Last night's storms had me up and in a panic over whether my kitty was O.K. Was he wet? Cold? Scared? Hungry? Was he wondering why this happened to him?

I don't know the answers to any of those questions, but we were very happy to see each other this morning, that stupid cat and I. And after drying him off and feeding him, I set about a new plan. Because this one wasn't going to work for me. And I knew it from the start.

I know animals are by-and-large waterproof. Cows, for instance seem to excel at hanging out in the pasture, eating and watching cars go by with their occupants shouting "MOOOO" all day (don't tell me I'm the only one!). In fact all your barnyard animals; chickens, pigs, goats, children of the corn... they all seem to be just fine outside.

But none of them are mine. And while Atticus was never going to starve, (he is fast, strong and a wily hunter, plus I was never going to stop feeding him), and he wasn't miserable outside, it was clear he wasn't happy. He wanted to be on the side of the doors that we were on.

Aha! Sometimes we are inside! Other times, in fact often compared to the pasty skinned television and Nintendo addicted CHUDS parents are raising these days, we are outside! Maybe Atticus needed to be like that most utilitarian of all ground coverings; indoor/outdoor carpeting.

It stands to reason that if he is aggressive it is because of latent or pent-up energy. And if he had a positive outlet for that energy maybe he wouldn't be so aggressive! So, by day, if he is showing signs of restlessness and angst, I will let him out into the great big world so he can play basketball with the local kids and run and play. Of course in this case the great big world is my tiny backyard and by playing basketball with the local kids I mean stalking living prey (other than Juliette) for fun.

So it was off to Meijer for Flea treatments and a reflective collar. After all, he is black as midnight and I don't want fleas in my house. This makes me feel like we at least attempted to cover all out bases.

Right now he is so lethargic from not sleeping and being stressed out. I gave him some nip when he came in, so he is tired and stoned. This is a combination that makes for a very happy home.

Juliette doesn't know he is back. She is sleeping, blissfully unaware that a major policy decision has been made without her input. But at least we have a new and different plan this time. And that might just make all the difference. Who said I am not an optimist?

No comments:

Post a Comment