Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Peace of the Grave

I don't want to be buried, myself. I am a cremation guy. I just think it makes more sense. Anyhow, that being said, if I had to be buried, there would be not too many place higher on my list that Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah, Ga.

For those of you predisposed to remembering such minutiae, the book (and the movie) "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" about murder and malfeasance in Savannah society features the statuette of a girl on the grave of Jim Williams, one of the subjects of the book. That grave is in Bonaventure. The statue no longer is, since it became a sort of macabre mecca to riff raff and out of towners. Peace was restored upon its removal.

Anyhow, here are some pictures we took (mostly Emily took) while we were there:

Mature live oaks keep it cool and give it the old southern charmOld graves and large family plots from the early 1800s to yesterdayIntricate and ornate monuments among the oaksFar from depressing, it is a lovely place with many lanes like this one under the oaks
I call this photo, (which I took) "Eternal Love"Those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom

The pictures, while beautiful just don't do it justice. I recommend you go see for yourself.





No comments:

Post a Comment