Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Deep End of Shallow Communication

I have a friend who shall remain nameless who does not like to talk on the phone. I am OK with this, as I don't love it either and we both get plenty enough of it during the commission of our jobs. Lately, my friend has needed a listening ear which is also fine as I make it known to one and all that it is of lasting importance to me that my friends are well-supported in their endeavors. Therefore I must do my part.

With my friend, it seems as though texting is the default method of communication these days. Texting is fine, but you don't propose, break up with, share important news like births and deaths over text. At least I don't put so much weight on text. Perhaps I am a little behind the times. But to me, texting is perfect for "Romaine on sale... 2?"

But our conversations have been significantly more heady that that. I find myself trying to condense my responses, which are always thoughtful and never just throw-aways, down to 160 characters.

I admit, (and you will no doubt have no problem believing me), that sometimes only 2 or 3 rapid fire texts will do. When I was in high school, we sometimes had to form 500 word essays in class and that seemed like slow hell. Now I find myself daily whipping out thousands of words in service to various different personal and professional pursuits; 500 words seems like a luxury.

I already feel inadequate to the task of my end of the conversations my friend and I have been having, because the topic tends toward the emotional and spiritual realm, which is difficult enough to discuss, let alone with limited space.

And then there is my spelling, which is poor. My friend is of far superior intelligence to me and I find myself obsessing over the technical quality of the message rather than being heartfelt and sincere. I mean, I am heartfelt and sincere, just maybe not in my normally loquacious way. No, I did not spell loquacious correctly the first time, in case you were wondering.

Perhaps I should take the challenge. I mean, better to have a long conversation over 1000 texts than to have no conversation at all. I am humbled to be in a position to advise and assist a person of such great intelligence and ability. I am further humbled that the format in which we have chosen to communicate is forcing me to think carefully about everything I say to craft the essential message with the greatest possible efficiency.

Dale Carnegie said something to the effect of 'speak only enough to ensure people leave you wanting more'. Shakespeare was more poetic when he said, "Brevity is the soul of wit."

So to my good friend, if you are reading, here are 156 characters for you:

I love you. He loves you. No matter where you go and what you try, you are not alone. Seek what you want to find and be thankful for all you have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment