Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Culinary Exploits of a Temporary Bachelor Day Two Continued

Ok, so I can't spell. But that's fine because I have a number of other very marketable skills. I can cook and clean and do the wash. I can fix a car. I can do some carpentry and electrical. So, you are all either too nice to point out I have been misspelling bachelor, or you are all quietly sniggering away at my expense.

Regardless, today is a study in contrast. I have gotten so much done the morning has been a flury of activity. Almost a week's worth in one short morning. I am feeling much more positive about life in general since I have cleared up some things with a friend and colleague and the weather is so nice I opened the windows. I can hear the birds and the breeze and the kids and the sirens and the cars between the fits of sneezing and blowing of my nose.

I guess you take the good with the bad.

With all this contrast from yesterday, I felt from a culinary standpoint, I should do the same. Here is lunch:
I Admit, it is the same lunch I have had now three days in a row, so my basic premise of this being a contrast simply doesn't hold water. Let's call it poetic license and pretend for the sake of my angle that I have been eating bacon and mayonnaise sandwiches for lunch.

Classic Grilled Chicken Salad:
Fresh Romain Lettuce
Favorite Cheese(s)
Fresh Tomato (roma is best)
Fresh Onion (red is best)
Grilled chicken breast
Homemade croutons
Favorite dressing

Simple. Elegant. Delicious. Filling.

For this one, I did not have a roma tomato or red onion, so a beefsteak and a Vidalia substituted. Therefore I used three cheeses just to keep things healthy. I cubed a mild and a sharp cheddar and a mozzarella.

Since I don't like white onions and cheddar cheese with vinaigrette, I used ranch; because I wanted to keep it healthy and low calorie.

I grilled the Chicken on Saturday and have been using it daily in the salads. Emily makes the croutons. simply cube french bread and drizzle with olive oil and bake until about 1/2 way a crouton in an oven. Let's say at 350 because I don't really know. Put them in a sealed container to keep out moisture. Before using, simply pop in the toaster oven or oven oven and finish the croutonization process. Voila! Now, I admit, I can't not season things, so if I were making the croutons, I would sprinkle my favorite herbs on before the initial croutonization process, then the oil and herbs would soak in flavoring the bread during the final croutonization. Can you tell I am just looking for excuses to egregiously use the word croutonization?

For once, I used all the lettuce before throwing it all away. None too soon as I have lunch engagements for the rest of the week. I left just enough for tonight's gourmet burger redux! Mmmmmm, burger redux...

Bon Appetite!




No comments:

Post a Comment