Tuesday, September 6, 2011

To My Health, An Elegy

I can scarcely remember a time in any recency that I have not suffered from a sinus problem. I am unwell this morning. So unwell, I have had to resort to the drastic measure of switching to the lotion tissue, (which gives me zits), and using chap stick, (one specifically for and not to be used as anything else), on the tip of my nose. Only these two things quiet the burning.

I have gone through more tissue than... well, never mind than what because the only references that come to mind are wholly inappropriate for this or any audience. Suffice it to say, there is a lot of tissue in the trash bins in the various rooms of my house. It looks as if later I will again be coloring my world with a lysol wipe to fend off the germs I am spreading around like... like... Oh, never mind like what.

My left eye is half closed and watering, my left nostril is plugged and my right one is making up for its deficiency with all it's available volume. I have the shakes from sneezing so hard and so often. My body is exhausted. It isn't even 10:30.

To mete my disenchantment in a very loquatious way, I have decided to compose a little ditty:

To My Health, An Elegy

I wonder where you are, I wonder where you've gone
I wonder if you left from spite or something I did wrong
I wonder when in bed at night
If I will live to see the light

I shout through hoarse throat with inflection
Please be gone with this sinus infection
I cannot speak on the business phone
When my voice is but a squeaky moan

Allergies, Sinuses, Colds and Shivers
My body it aches, my body it quivers
I'll cash in my chips and lose my mind
If I sneeze just one more time

I wonder where you are right now
I wonder where you live
My head pound just like a drum
My nose leaks like a sieve

I have but a modest request
So simple at my own behest
The flowing nose is the issue
It hurts to wipe it with the tissue

The tip is red and growing rotten
It looks like a pulsating gin blossom
I fear it will soon wipe clean away
Leaving me no nasal pathway

Come back health wherever you've gone
Find your way through the hoary throng
Come quickly to me and stay long, too
For it is clear I can no longer live without you


No comments:

Post a Comment