Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Evansville Chronicles Pt. 1

This quick business trip is a test to see whether I can live with the iPad on a day to day basis, typing and what not. I did not bring my computer. It is amazing how even a small laptop seems like an amazing encumbrance compared to this little wonder. I don't care if it's an iPad or some other well done tablet... these things are the future.

So far, it isn't terrible, but there is very little haptic feedback on the keyboard. But I typed this, (most of this) on the iPad, so I guess I have my answer on liveability. Since I never learned how to type properly, I am nearly equally as fast on this keyboard as I am on any tactile keyboard, so that bodes well. Is it time for an iPhone?

So, while I sit here at the airport in and amongst the old people, I thought it might be nice to jot a note or two.

I don't know why every person on this flight except for me is old. I wonder if there is a cruise or something... Maybe Obama promised them a free trip and they're all on their way to certain and completely surprising death. Obama care, from the cradle to the grave... we choose both.

Neat thought.

I just had a little iPad moment with a lady who needed some help getting online. I don't know if she was successful or not.

It looks like it could be a bumpy flight out to Detroit. There are a lot of low clouds and that typically means bumps. That doesn't bother me, especially. I am starting to wonder whether it was a good idea to watch the Air Disaster show yesterday about the small commuter plane that lost it taking off and killed a slew of people.

I am not as tough as I think I am. I also am not used to traveling alone using air travel. I have to admit, here, privately, (to my blog which people from 11 different countries read on a fairly regular basis), that I don't like to fly alone. I never have. It gives me agita.

The plane is late, and my 37 minute layover in Detroit is evaporating. I am not a happy man.

After much wringing of hands, Delta's little brother ComAir got me to Evansville, wherever that is. It seems to be nothing more than a loose conglomeration of factories and low rise warehouses. What the warehouses are housing and why they are housing it here is beyond me.

We landed after the longest descent and approach in the history of commercial aviation. Why, since we were the ONLY plane in the place we needed to do that, I don't know.

At least this plane had A/C. The first leg was flown without it. Of course on this leg the man sitting next to me had monstrously bad breath. But then the man next to me on the first flight who jammed down his Quiznos didn't have any better air coming out of him. And he snored.

Hard to tell which leg was worse, given I have eaten sausages larger than these airplanes. It was a Canadair Rinky-Poo 2000. I don't know what the 2000 stands for, but I am pretty sure there were that many people in my row alone.

Do you know, the cheap-ass airlines only serve you that ridiculous Dixie cup of pop and then throw the rest away? How is this saving money? No wonder there is a bag tax.

I took a very small bag. Just the one. You should have seen the disappointed looks on behalf of the staff; who, I believe get a perverse pleasure out of screwing passengers in the wallet.

The Internet, rather the credit card reward site through which I booked my rental car did not tell me the rental place was off-airport. No matter, the manager gave me a ride and was happy to talk. And talk. And talk.

She seemed very nice. I predict within a year she'll be smoking through a stoma, but she was kind.

My Nissan Versa is shockingly tired for its 7,000 miles. It creeks and groans like my knees. I shall have fun trying my best to destroy it. I like to induce oversteer in a car with 13" tires it's just so easy.

I only got lost once on the way to the hotel. My key didn't work upon check-in, which is only funny because I have a bit of a history with hotel keys. I could do a 20 minute bit on hotel key stories. I did a blog back in June. You can read it, here.

The hotel I blessedly non-smoking, smoking, so I have a fighting chance of living through the night.

Hunger pervades me, so I am off to forage in this strange land. I will talk more later about a store name Schnuck's which where I come from is not a nice thing to call someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment