Tuesday, September 27, 2011

One Dead Metaphor, Please!

A great man once said, "Holy shit!" And I echo those sentiments today. Quite a strong way to start off, I know, and forgive the lack of couth and tact, but my head is unable to express my emotions any more appropriately.

There is a lot going on, both personally and professionally. It's nearly all really, really good, but it sure puts a punctuation on recent times that have leaned toward the boring and mundane. Now we're in the sheer terror portion of the year with crashing deadlines and increasing responsibilities intermingling with the promise of good things to come and the anxiety of losing some or all of your battles.

In short, life is happening. It's just life concentrated, like lemonade in the frozen can. It is so much of a good thing, you almost wish it was just a little less.

Sooner or later, my lemonade of life, (because I just can't stop beating a bad metaphor, that's why- deal with it), will be watered down again and I will be seeking some of that extra sour pucker (yes, twice in one thought- you're not doing well dealing with it).

A pendulum spends so little time in the happy medium on its way to its extreme, yes? Yes. And like a pendulum, I tend to get a little queasy with repetitive motions. Back and forth... back and puke.

I don't know how I used to swing so much. Not that kind of swing, silly. On the swing set. As a kid. Jeez. You're sick. I like you.

My summer days as a child we often spent swinging. Sometimes for hours. My mom would even get tired of me and put me out of the house, (daily). She knew I wouldn't go far, the swing set was right there. I would swing, and sing. Because I wanted people to think I was a girl? I don't know. I was five. I hadn't savored the lemonade of li... oh, forget it.

I don't want to go back to being five, swings or no. I like where I am and what I am doing. And if you're gonna have to drink lemonade, (put your fist down, I'm almost done), it's nice when you like the flavor and it's not that pink lemonade mango chutney, guava, passion fruit shit they serve at fast food restaurants.

I like my lemonade to burn a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment