Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wednesday Afternoon Lull

Where's My Check?

The mail is late today. That must mean I am expecting money. I don't know what money, but it must be a lot because it is 3:06pm and the mail has not yet arrived. Only an hour ago I was only interested in the mail in the normal sense of things. Just another part of the day. But now, I await it with breathless anticipation, for surely since it is almost two hours late there must be a check of magnificent proportions in it!

Business Cards

Are still not here and I have a networking event to go to tonight, plus I had a grand scheme of places to go and call on today. Well, I did some of that because I had prepared presentation material that included my information, so I figured the card was superfluous. But tonight, I will have nothing but some ill-printed proofs to hand out to prospective clients and/or new best friends! What a deficiency! Oh well, I paid $30.00 to go to this thing, so I'm going. Too bad I can't have cocktails...

Gave it Away? No, It's Just Been Lent!

Because I quit drinking for Lent. It has been a week. There is much to report. I have lost two pounds, slept better and woken up more easily. I have saved many dollars and in general feel pretty good!

Why did I give up drinking for Lent? Because that's the only thing I could think to give up that would require persistence and sacrifice. I don't do a lot of leisure type things. I certainly can't give up watching T.V. What of all the crap? Where will it go without mine eyes to see it? I can't take that risk.

So, back to drinking. The focus of Lent is supposed to be the sacrifice Jesus made for humanity in the days up to and including his crucifixion. Now, I don't proselytize on my blog and I am not about to start, but even if you are not a Christian, abstaining from something you like for a bit can really teach you about yourself.

For my part, I am demonstrating the commitment and taking my notes along the way. Who knows? At the end of this maybe I'll have some real insights about myself that I didn't know before.

All Sorts of Pussy Cats

I am typing this as two cats snore away in a dueling fashion, one on my lap, the other over my shoulder. I am allowing this because any time the two are in the same room and not killing each other is a small victory.

It is funny though how they sit and nap and snore. They are like people, only when they sleep they remain cute and when they snore it's adorable. Any my cats don't fart... at least not much. No human among us can boast these qualities while sleeping. Let's face it, it is an unattractive time for most people. Unless you're into the dried drool string in the corner of a wide open mouth, or bed head, in which case I think you are nuts.

I am dressed for this event tonight because before I didn't have business cards today I had grand plans to be on the road all day until the event. I was prepared as such. This afternoon lull is unplanned and only means tomorrow is going be be worse. But the reason I bring that up is that I have been trying in vain to keep these stupid cats off me because I am dressed.

I lost the battle and the war and the end result is what I have now. Two cats snoring in dueling fashion and shedding all over my nice clothes.

That Ain't My Truck

I have happily bored you with my truck fantasies over the last month or so. I found one that is good... really good, but older than I would like. The price is right and the maintenance history is amazingly good. I would be confident in this truck.

But, it is not to be. Cash poor having just changed jobs and paying off Em's student loan, I will have to be content driving my perfectly fine car. I have to remind myself that dreams have their time and place and one should proceed carefully if one does not want their dream to become a nightmare.

I also have to remind myself, when I am feeling overworked and under payed that I am lucky beyond measure to live the life I do and I shouldn't want anything. It diminishes the worth of what I have now.

What have we learned? After all that crap I still want a truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment