Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Talk This Way!

Overhearyouwillseethewaterdepartmentwhohandlesalotofthingsincluding...

Having a discussion with friends Greg and Dave about T.V. shows, it came up that Dave really doesn't like Aaron Sorkin. He doesn't find his dialogue witty, or the pattern and cadence of his characters' speech to be true to life.

Fair enough. That rapid fire give and take (banter) which is often incisive can come across as a little disingenuous. I mean, who doesn't pause for a breath, or have to restate something in another way to clarify once in awhile? Is it really plausible that people could really have that much give and take?

Well, starting this new job, in a busy office during a busy time I can say one thing unequivocally - people DO talk like that.

I am the FNG (GoshDarn New Guy) and as such I am an utter hindrance. My mere presence represents an unneeded and unplanned variable in the day of people who constantly deal with variables. They have all been very nice and patient and for that I am appreciative. But man, do they talk fast. I think I had a twenty-minute conversation with one department head in a minute-and-a-half! To his credit, he was concise and realized I was picking up what he was laying down so there wasn't a lot of need for expository language.

But it was a very Aaron Sorkin exchange and it is one of many I have had this week. So, with all due respect to Dave... People absolutely talk this way.

We Need To TCB For This VIP and Get Him to HQ Before He Is AWOL

Those acronyms are all pretty well known. Acronyms are needed and when used well are a huge time saver. It falls under paucity of verbiage... say it in the most efficient way possible and it is usually a good rule of thumb for business language especially.

Recently, I have been a little obsessed with learning about Diesel engines. Who knows why? I'm a boy. Is there a reason better or more illustrative than that? Anyhow, I had spent a fair amount of free time before starting this job on learning about these things on various internet forums.

They are rife with acronyms that are all "shop talk", or specific to the narrow genre. And they are not helpful if you don't know what they are referring to. For instance in one comical post, one contributor uses no fewer than thirteen (thirteen!) acronyms that I had no idea what they meant. They included FICM, HPOP, DPF, SCT and others. Some I could decipher by context, others are still a mystery to me, even after a fair bit of detective work.

There is of course no glossary on the site to illuminate the possible meanings of these. I wonder if the people who are using these acronyms are even doing so because they are accepted and well-known tools on this sight, or if they are just too lazy to type Fuel Injection Management Computer (FICM), or High Pressure Fuel Pump (oddly shortened to HPOP).

Beware when you are trying to send a message that needs to get across... sometimes you can say too little.

Being The FNG

I am pleased that things are going as well so far as I could have expected. It is a good atmosphere here. I hope it stays that way as there are some items that are giving me pause which originate from the old regime. I will hold my tongue for now and hope that those storm clouds don't materialize into anything. But, please keep my in your positive thoughts during this transition. So far, all your efforts have helped. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I forgot to tell you about one of our presentations last night which was for discussion purposes only; the architect (licensed and everything) didn't call the ridge the ridge. She called it "this piece". And she paused before she said it, as if she was searching for the word. But couldn't come up with it. So is there a time when a person doesn't use the correct word that makes you wonder how legit they are???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but, I have been searching for words lately myself... so maybe she just lost it a second.

    ReplyDelete