Monday, September 27, 2010

It's Monday Morning

It is Monday morning. It's cold. It's dark. We are only a few weeks removed from the dog days of summer, yet we are in a whole other world. The house thermostat that was struggling to stay in the middle 70's as the air conditioning chugged now tells me it is 69 and I accuse it of lying.

It is Monday morning. I am cold. It is 7:30 and the sun is just now coming up. No longer is it my willing friend, getting to my house before I even get out of bed to greet me like a big slobbering dog. "Let's go... you're wasting time!"

It is Monday morning. It is still and motionless. Silent, but for the groans of the waking citizens as their bones creak like the floorboards they walk upon while they get out of their warm beds. The stubs of toes and the shivers of naked bodies waiting for the hot water to reach their shower spigots punctuate the weekend past with cold grim finality.

It is Monday morning. Today I have to go back to work and pretend again. Today I have to see people and do things and engage and emote and involve and coach and train and understand. Today I have to be William-not-Bill.

It is Monday morning. I have a headache from my allergies. I am nearly out of tissues and my nose hurts from constant blowing and wiping. My right eye is twitching violently and burning. I have to go put in drops. I hate drops. After that, my eye will still hurt.

It is Monday morning. My coffee sure tastes good. The warmth and the richness is magnified on this cold morning. Coffee doesn't taste like this in the summer. It doesn't hit the same spots. Yes, the coffee is good this morning as it chases way my headache and shakes the cobwebs from my brain.

It's Monday morning. That means there is a week ahead. A week to practice being better, stronger, faster, more honest, more Christian. A better husband, friend, co-worker and boss. I get another chance to make my wrongs right, and if I fail, at least I tried. I have a week, a page unwritten laid out in front of me that will chronicle my wins and losses.

It is Monday morning. I am awake now. It's not so bad. My headache will go away and after a shower my eye will calm down. The house will warm with the rise of the sun and the sky is a crystal shade of blue. Sure, it's cold outside, but it smells so fresh. The leaves are just beginning to pop. Winter is coming, yes, but in life a bit of rain (or snow) must fall. Right now is where we are and it is good.

It is Monday morning! I thank God! I rolled out of a warm bed, with my wonderful wife, in my beautiful house. I was greeted happily by my cats who were so glad to see me. I had coffee, I got to sit and write. The weekend was good and the week ahead full of possibilities! It is Monday morning! My grass is green and looks so full with trademark angled stripes showing I mowed it the fancy way, just to treat my neighbors to something different. I am going to do it today, whatever it is. I will do it the best. I will do it better than last week and keep finding a way to do it better each time.

IT IS MONDAY MORNING! I can rule the world today! I was chosen to be where I am because I can make the most of it! Only I can contribute my share today. Nobody can be me and I shouldn't try to be anybody else! My words will make someone's day! My actions will show care and concern for others! I will lead by example!

It. Is. Monday. Morning. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. the coffee comment is spot on, somehow it always tastes better in the fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete