Thursday, August 4, 2011

Allergies, Nightmare Sharks and Nieces

It is a head banging morning here in Michigan with allergens on a relentless march to destroy joy and happiness in our region. I can't remember a year since I first was beset by allergies during college that they have been this pervasive. Even in Savannah. That is saying something.

The last couple weeks I have been either unable to fall asleep or awakened in the night having been 'triggered' by something. I am double dosing the allergy pills and taking my allergy drops and even considering a chiropractor who swears he can help me with my allergies.

I would normally dismiss this a bunk, but I know this guy and bravado is not his strong suit. And I 'got' my allergies only after having my wisdom teeth taken out, so it stands to reason that there is an acute physiological reason for my suffering.

Well, not suffering, actually. If I had the choice to have allergies or diabetes, I would keep the allergies. Between allergies and cancer, achoo and achoo for me. Between allergies and being lonely or homeless? Pass the tissue.

It's all about perspective. This morning is just really acute. Burning eyes, banging head, congestion. It feels like a flu, but localized in my sinuses. It doesn't help that Skylar was having nightmares because of watching Jaws and kept waking us up to comfort her. There was not a lot of sleeping going on.

I actually got up three times with her trying to allow Em to sleep. I thought for this I should receive the good egg of the year award. But this morning she told me she was awake anyway. Which begs the question, why didn't she get out of bed? Hmmm. Oh well, I will let that one go.

Skylar, (our 12 year old niece), is visiting us this week. We usually have her for a week or two a year which is just about right. Enough to have fun and keep a good relationship but not so much I have to perform any actual parenting. She is a wonderful kid. Smart, funny, easy to be around. I hope it stays that way, for 13 is just around the corner. We all know what 7-10 year calamity that can reign upon a previously normal child.

If we do go through a 7 year drought, we will be happy to be waiting on the other side. She already said she wants a light blue Mustang with dark blue interior (except for silver seats because blue ones get so hot). OK, I can live with this choice. Her mother's first car, and my first car were Mustangs, so there is precedent for this.

She also likes Mini Coopers, Thunderbirds and all other manner of perfectly acceptable, (in my sight), cars. I like this girl. She also eats anything you can manage to get near her mouth and is laid back and likes to have fun. All-in-all, since her mother did all the hard work, we could take it from here.

On second thought, let's give it another 10 years just to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment