Friday, November 11, 2011

Someone Had to be First

I was first out of the poker tourney last night. I went all in on two pair and didn't see the flush of my opponent until it hit me smack in the head.

There is an old joke my neighbor told to me when I was growing up. It's a bit dated, but it will set the time and the place nicely.

You walk into a bathroom and there on the stools sit Dolly Parton and Princess Diana... which one should you bet on? The answer? Princess Diana because a Royal Flush always beats a great pair! Ha!

Ok, it's a terrible joke. Don't even bother to ask how I would get past all that security to get into a ladies restroom. The whole premise falls apart because Dolly Partons boobs haven't been nice in eons and Princess Di, did. But as odd as it may seem, the punchline of this joke came true last night.

The good part is I got to come home earlier than I thought. The better news is I dodged the deer and the dreadful drivers and made it home in tact and in good spirits.

Speaking of good spirits, that was the prize for being first out- a free drink, which I declined on account of my 120 mile drive home. I think that was smart thinking on my part.

In life as in sports someone has to win and that means someone has to lose. It's a platitude, but it is indeed the truth. This is why I get testy with people who are angry at the wealthy just because they are wealthy. We can't all be first, no matter what Ms. Smith taught you in second grade.
______________________________________________________________


I heard a couple platitudes over the last day:

People spend their entire lives either avoiding pain or seeking pleasure. I believe that is an oversimplification. And I believe it is indelicate. I don't like this particular piece of psychobabble. You can keep the nickle, but I am not taking the advice.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what the hell just happened. This is apparently the work of Friedrich Nietzsche, but I think it's a little kitschy for Nietzsche. And, I also think it is an oversimplification. I wouldn't argue with Herr Nietzsche on the topic because he scares me a little and because I don't think he lost too many arguments in his lifetime.

Figures never lie, but liars do the figuring. Go figure.

Measure twice, cut once. I personally like... I keep cutting it and it's still too short.

Better late than never... better never late.

Of all, that last one has informed my life most. Punctuality is next to godliness. Hey, is that a new platitude?
_________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment