Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hoops: Some Jumping Through Required

Today was the day. I had to be at the mall, so why not pop by the Apple store and pick up my new iPhone 4S? The store wasn't even busy. And they didn't have what I wanted. Which I knew they wouldn't because that's just how those things go.

So I went across the parking lot to the Verizon store. See, Verizon is through whom my work has phone service. I pay a small amount each month to have the privilege of using my phone for work and for personal. It's a good deal and keeps me from having to carry multiple devices.

But, they didn't have it, either. So, I tried to order one from Apple.com. Can't since they couldn't verify my account. They couldn't verify my account because they only do personal accounts. So, I had to call Verizon.

The very nice and knowledgeable customer service person explained I don't have an upgrade, but another number on the account does and I can just call the store, order it, and when I pick it up, tell them to do a "buddy upgrade" and voila! I would have a new iPhone.

So, I called. Nope. Can't order it on the phone, have to come in. Or, I could order it online, get it, then do the upgrade. Except I don't trust that, because I want a face and name attached to the "yes, of course we can do this upgrade for you." Otherwise, I can see everyone running for the hills and screaming they've never seen me before... and no, I can't return my phone.

Simple.

Why is it that no one wants to take my money? I mean, I know people are lining up like cattle at the fair to blindly give Apple their money for a new phone, but does that really mean they don't care about my moooooo-lah? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I want the iPhone since I have an iPad and have found it indispensable for business, but It requires all sorts of additional input on my part with calendar items and contacts. I just want to put it in one thing and have it be in the other thing immediately and automatically.

Technical enough for you? And no, I am not going to pay for an exchange service.

So, there. Won't someone please take my money so I can have another China made piece of plastic that won't be any good in 18-24 months? I thought this was a consumer society after all!
__________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment