Monday, November 21, 2011

Latent Mail, Holiday Weeks, Thankfulness, Day 1

Why is the mail late? Because there's money in there for me, that's why. It never fails. I have written about it before.

My friend Greg believes he and indeed his whole family is cursed. He swears that any time he likes something as soon as he latches on to it, buys in, becomes a devotee or whatever, it gets canceled, discontinued, changed for the worse, becomes more expensive or in one case, illegal. But we won't get into that.

My curse is that whenever there is money waiting for me in the mail, it's late. The mailman has been on vacation for two weeks. Last paycheck I was able to pick it up because I was at the office. The mail came at 10 am that day.

Two weeks later, I imagine our lazy worthless, good-for-nothing, chain-smoking, barely literate regular mailman is back. And we are back to the "maybe" delivery system. Perhaps he was not made to take the sleet, snow, dark of night oath. Perhaps he snickered while he did.

Before you are so helpful as to recommend direct deposit: I would that I could, but I can't so don't ask. Some things are the way they are. The mail is late because it owes me money. And that's just the way it is.
____________________________________________________________

Why are we even going through the pro-forma of "working" this three day week? No one is in the office. No calls are being picked up or returned. I just raced through my entire three day plan in 6 hours. I have one appointment tomorrow, but, were it not for that, I could probably turn off my phone and no one would notice.
___________________________________________________________

This week is Thanksgiving. Today, I am thankful for the fact I am American and as such have access to well more than I need to survive. My problems are but a trifle as they do not include scouting for a new well for water, stalking prey for food and fighting other men over limited shelter.
I am not being persecuted for my religion, color, gender, political affiliation. I have so much material wealth, I can afford to lavish some of it on pets that perform no useful function to my household.
In fact, my biggest problem is that the mail is late... because it owes me money.

Believe you me, I am ridiculously thankful for my ridiculously wonderful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment