Wednesday, April 6, 2011

HorrorScopes

I don't believe in the veracity or efficacy of horoscopes. I do read mine every day, though, because it's funny. I actually not only read my horoscope, but many days read all the astrological sign horoscopes. Then I pick the one I like the best.

Today, I am an Aries. This particular horoscope that comes across on my Google home page has me as a Taurus. But, I have always chosen freely between the two, since my birthday, April 20th, is on the cusp. Depending on who you listen to, if indeed you do consult astrology as a guiding principal, I can be either.

Today, as I said, I am an Aries. Here it is in its entirety:

The super-active Aries energy is over the top today and exuberant
Jupiter's conjunction with the Sun in your sign gives you something
to celebrate. Although it's the middle of the workweek, you
might not be able to concentrate on your job responsibilities.
You would rather spend your time lost in creative
self-expression than finishing up what should have been done
yesterday. As usual, your key to happiness depends on finding a
middle ground between feeling free and meeting your obligations.


The middle ground I am choosing to pursue at this point is avoiding work. I am leaving on the road for the day in a short while and figured since I am having a working lunch and a full day of appointments, I can lose the morning a little and indulge in my creative self-expression.

Trouble is, I am not feeling terribly creative. It's a rainy day. On top of that, instead of easing into it, we took our walk first thing this morning because that's what suited our schedule. Instead of drinking coffee in my robe, checking up on the news, (okay, checking up on Facebook), I was walking briskly in the rain.

When I got home, I sat down with some coffee, but somehow it wasn't the same. I didn't get that preternatural feeling of calm and comfort upon that first slurpy hot pull. I missed that first immediate rush of the day. I missed it a lot when I quit smoking, too. The things we associate with pleasure are very dangerous... or can be.

So instead of enjoying my coffee and its effects on my body and soul, I was engaged in wonder of what I would choose if I had to choose between coffee and other certain things in life that I find enjoyable. That is a topic for another day. It turns out, philosophical self-inventory is not the best way to spend a morning. I needed a diversion.

Checking on the news, (Facebook, whatever!), I see that one friend's sister is still going through chemo (she's 4 years my junior), and another lost a pet quite unexpectedly. Having had close family and friends suffer through cancer, and having lost a beloved pet quite unexpectedly, I was suddenly down. There is a lot of pain in the world.

My mind wanders back to yesterday. I took the time to send another letter to my friend who is in prison, awaiting trial for a crime committed a long time ago. I sent him a letter a month ago as a pick-me-up. I was a little surprised, but very happy to get one back. It is clear the letters help, so even though I don't have a lot to say, I am trying hard to write regularly. I remember how I liked getting letters at summer camp... and from what my friend tells me, jail isn't summer camp.

It is hard to write a letter to someone who is incarcerated. I want to believe that he had nothing to do with the crime... and his story is certainly plausible. But I also, maybe innocently, believe that people don't typically get arrested and held without a certain amount of evidence. I may be naive. I don't know how many people are wrongfully arrested or convicted. I don't have time to research it.

But, whatever the truth and the outcome, it is still nice to get a letter or two. Maybe for that five minutes, the worry melts away.

All these things, and the rain and the late spring have got me sorta spent. I would love to be able to, as my horoscope says, indulge my inner creativity. Instead, I think I am just avoiding work. And even the time for that has expired.



No comments:

Post a Comment