Saturday, February 12, 2011

Xenophobia

It's highly unlikely that I know anyone at all, given my intense dislike for the process of meeting new people. I have a simple dinner to go to with friends and we are meeting them and some other people (presumably friends of theirs) and I am not excited. That's to say I am terrified. I don't know why I get into such a lather about these things as I nearly always have a wonderful time and the people I meet I am glad to have met. The mental preparation, though, is a bitch.

Some would call it social anxiety disorder, some would say shyness and most would say they can't believe I am either one. It is simple xenophobia, or fear of the new. I am after all, charming and ebullient. I tell a great anecdote. I am intelligent enough to carry on several lines of conversation at once. I do not lack confidence in my ability to make a good impression or to be likable.

I also do truly end up liking most of the people I meet. It is rare I walk away from a new acquaintance saying to myself, "Let's hope we never have to do that again, shall we?"

What I don't like, what I have never especially liked, is change. New things bother me. I get into a happy little rut, an encampment, an entrenchment. After all the work that goes into burrowing, why make an effort to get out of it? Is not your most comfortable pair of shoes the one you have done many miles in? Do you change where you sit in your living room while watching T.V. or reading? Of course not, because you have forged that ass groove in your seat, made the cushions yield to your shape, created a rut that is custom sized around your complex curves. That is the very nature and definition of comfort.

Meeting new people forces me to offer up my chair to someone new. To sit in a different place and look upon the world with a new perspective. That perspective may challenge the old perspective and lead to more change. It is a vicious cycle!

There comes a point in time in nearly every life when you sit down, or dig in like a defiant jackass and become immobile. It is at this point when the rest of the world zooms right by and you fade off into irrelevance, or you bray and kick at the changes you see around you. I noticed five years ago I didn't recognize anyone on the cover of any of the popular magazines on the newsstand at my bookstore. I don't own an iPod (though I'd like to, but I have managed to go without, so I am not in a rush), and iPad (ibid), or even a blue ray player (which oddly uses a red laser ray to read the blue ray disc, but I digress).

I am not the only one subject to this xenophobia. I recommended to Emily that we transfer all our financial information to a program like Quicken, because in the virtual computer world, I am a rock star of organization and productivity, but if you hand me a piece of paper, a pencil, a calculator and the checkbook, I will rock in the corner crying like a little girl who just found out My Little Pony was shot dead by Rainbow Bright in a drive-by at the corner of Candy Land Street and Cabbage Patch Avenue. See? Even my toy references are dated. My suggestion was met with not a little enmity. There was much questioning as to whether I thought she was doing a poor job keeping the books, and why I wanted to take an interest all of a sudden (which I had long ago divested) in the family finances.

Change is hard. It is hard to swallow, hard to accept, and after you fight so hard against it it is hard to admit that it wasn't so bad after all. Like a tetanus shot, or a Diet Coke. Each new person you meet has the potential to come into your sphere and pop that protective bubble and leave you exposed to the outside air where you are vulnerable to terrible things like learning something, or appreciating something that you did not notice before.

This is very dangerous. What if you learn what you thought previously was gospel truth was wrong? What if you thought you were a republican, but you met someone and now you are distributing communist leaflets? These things happen, people! You must believe me!

So I say to all you whom I know to be sanitary and appropriately fitting for my life, I am glad you are here. As for the rest of you, I'm sorry, we aren't accepting any reservations at this time. If you want to hang around a little bit on the fringe and see if something opens up, you may feel free to do so, but I must warn you, we are very, very busy.

3 comments:

  1. As a Postscript, I actually knew (kind of) the people we were meeting and we had a blast. See? I told you there was nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did your mom say on fb? Something about rearranging the furniture. Which is funny since you just asked me if we should do that. Funnier yet because I tire of the same thing, I like change. I crave change. Maybe enough for both of us???

    ReplyDelete
  3. (1) I HATE meeting new people. And when someone tells me I should make new friends, I shudder. Absoultely shudder. There's so much work that goes into it. What I really love about my current friends is that they know all my stories, and we have history. I don't have to catch them up on anything. New people may be perfectly nice, but the older I get, the less interested I am in making any type of investment like that, which may take me away from my currently comfortable life. Plus, the new time that goes into making new friends is time away from my current pursuits.

    (2) Patricks started asking me questions, out of the blue, about our family finances about 2 weeks ago and I was exactly the same as Emily -- do you not trust me? What's going on here? Why the sudden interest? We've worked out a system -- I handle the books, pay the bills, and you sign over your paycheck to my in exchange for $20 in cash and a pre-approved spending limit. It works. Let's not change it -- see, there's that ugly word again.

    (3) the amount of money that I've saved on magazines since I no longer recognize the celebrities on the covers of my trashy magazines is astounding. It was enough for us to get the playstation 3, which has Hulu, netflix, and games. Furthering my need to never leave the house.

    You said it best the other day, I'm not a person, person. Me neither.

    ReplyDelete