Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Monday

The "Big Game"

Believe it or not, the Packers win was probably a positive thing for our local economy being that Green Bay is close enough that people over here identify with the team and will therefore purchase all sorts of expensive goods emblazoned with the big 'G'.

Going in with no specific allegiance (I was rooting for the Greenburgh Peelers or the Pitts Bay Sackers) I was just hoping for a good game. I was not disappointed. I think both teams put forth a great effort and it was a classic case of the Packers "wanting it more." There was a great deal more total offense in the game than I expected as both teams were known for their stingy defenses. In my humble opinion, it was among the best "Big Game"'s I had seen in a long time.

But What About That Halftime Show?

Who dreams this stuff up? The Black Eyed Peas (I won't go so far as to say they are without talent) are not known for being a great live act. Nobody in that genre is, at least not from any musical perspective. I generally decry lip synching, but in the context of the venue and the acoustics, and given the technical necessities of their 'music', the Peas should have, could have done better.

My bigger beef is with the forced crossover they always try to do in a misbegotten attempt at appealing to a wider audience. You can almost hear the planning meetings now.

"Well, the Black Eyed Peas are confirmed so all the young people and black people will be accommodated, but what about the middle aged white man? After all, he is the one spending the dough-rey-me?"

"I hear Slash is free, you know, from Guns and Roses?"

"Slash and the Black Eyed Peas? Together? Brilliant! Get me Slash's agent!"

I love my hard rockin' hair banders as much as the next white guy in his mid thirties. I won't even interject the argument about being irrelevant, etc. Slash is was and ever shall be a truly intelligent man with manifold talents as a song writer and ax-man. Slash defined bad-ass for me growing up. The fact that he could string sentences together and speak the English language was a plus. But, what about this particular synergy made any kind of sense?

What will it be next year? Kanye West and Paul Anka? Harry Bellafonte and L'il Wayne? Oh, I know! Art Garfunkel, Jim Messina, John Oates, everyone from the Doobie Brothers except for Michael McDonald and whatever permutation of Fleetwood Mac they can drag up from the grave can all get together and sing the hits they are known for, like.... um. Well there's... I thought that... Well, I'm still working on it. I think some Bread songs just came into the public domain. If nothing else, it will be the cheapest halftime show in awhile and I am certain you won't have any trouble getting these people booked. They're all under various overpasses carrying signs that say "I used to be somebody (who knew somebody who was somebody)".

I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing (And Went Back for More)


I have spoken frequently about health in these blogs, namely me trying to be healthier as I slip into the golden years of my thirties. I often say if I knew I would live this long, I would have taken significantly better care of myself. I have enjoyed trying to maintain an exercise regimen and I am happy to report that the normal weight gain associated with winter inactivity has been mitigated to a great degree.

One of the downsides to eating better and trying to be healthier is when you go off the wagon, it really, really hurts. My gut has never been my friend, often rising up against me at the worst possible moments. IBS, or irritable bowel syndrome is what the medical community calls it. I call it irrational bowel syndrome because mine seems to foster a certain malevolence toward me. I don't know what I did to deserve the enmity of my gastrointestinal tract, but here we are.

I know that yesterday I did everything wrong and I am paying for it today. Lots of fatty spicy foods and beer. Oy. It is not good people. And I knew it wouldn't be, yet I grazed all night on delicious, delicious poison anyway. If they made cyanide that tastes like bacon I would be dead in a heartbeat (note for all you murderous chemists out there with an axe to grind). Seriously, can anything good come of eating a dozen of something called "Jason's Cheesy Balls?"

I can assure you, there cannot.

We walked anyway this morning, though I admit to only exerting half of my heart (or my shive a git) and it was therefore a somewhat leisurely stroll. At least we went. Ironically, the scale seemed not to notice my transgressions, so maybe, just maybe I'll get away with my behavior... this time.

From New Image to New Beginnings

This is my last week with New Image Building Services, at least in my current capacity. I have some prospects to stay with (or near) the company. I would like that as the people I have met are outstanding and I don't feel like starting over. For all its flaws, a job can seem like a well-worn shoe.

Besides, I have gotten used to the specific mental illnesses of my colleagues. Why start over with new people with an entirely different kind of crazy?

Anyhow, wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. It's NOT fair. The scale noticed my transgressions and I had a lot less cheesy balls than you... grrr. *grumbles something about men and women*

    ReplyDelete