Monday, October 15, 2012

Jimmy Crack Corn

I dreamed in an Irish accent last night, after having watched a couple or four episodes of the 12 part series "Titanic: Blood and Steel". So far, near as I can tell, it has as little to do with the Titanic as possible while still telling its compelling story of the labor movement and socioreligious tenor of the city of Belfast shortly after the turn of the 20th century.

People who know me, or read this blog regularly know I am a sucker for all things Titanic, even when like in this story, the Titanic is essentially a tertiary excuse for the storytelling. Who cares? It's pretty interesting. And for once, the Catholics aren't the bad guys. It's been a good long time since the media has had anything to say about Catholics unless there was some sort of sordid details involved.

I bring this up because I dreamed in an Irish accent last night. Dreamed about being in that world. Dreamed about eating popcorn. Not any popcorn, but the kind Em brought home from church that had been donated by Celebration! Cinemas.

Now I know what the song Jimmy Crack Corn is all about, because this stuff is the addictive spawn of crack and corn. And as the song continues, I don't care because it is so deliciously amazingly unremittingly good. So, I dreamed with an Irish accent about building the Titanic, but all the scenes I was in featured me throwing gobs of crackcorn in my mouth. I dreamed in Irish and popcorn.

I woke up to nasty heartburn and my mind said, "You know, Bill, a little popcorn will calm that down." I tossed and turned, trying to shake the devil. And I made it through the night without succumbing to my urges. Barely.

I just now walked through the kitchen. There it sits, in a garbage bag. Taunting me. "Eat me before I go stale!" "I'm popcorn, the healthy snack! It's ok, I'm mother approved!"

Man, work is done for the day. I got to go take a walk and try to get that evil, terrible, rotten, greasy, buttery, crunchy, salty wonderful goodness out of my head. Wish me luck.I still have 5 hours of Titanic to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment