Monday, June 6, 2011

Oh, Monday

Never Did no Squanderin' After All (That's really funny if you get it, Mike Spalisbury and probably no one else)

Wow(!) am I having a time of it today with the concentration thing. Really, I just can't say goodbye to the weekend. I am usually pretty productive on Mondays, but so far aside from some dilly-dallies and fiddle-dee-dos, I have gotten little accomplished.

I feel so badly on these days, like I squandered an amazing opportunity that was bestowed upon me from on-high. Instead of carpe diem it's perdere diem, literally,(according to google as my Latin is, how you say, not so good), Lay Waste to the day.

So what if I don't find some way to redeem my karma for this lackadaisical work ethic from which I am suffering mentally? Is a great cosmic piano going to fall on my head during my afternoon walk? And if there is to be no punishment, than what is it that keeps us honest?

Working from home makes it a little too easy some days to sort of skate on through. I don't do it often, but today is an all skate, baby. REO Speedwagon is promising to keep on lovin' me and there is a long line at the concession stand. I may as well just do a couple more circuits. I think there is a Journey song on deck.
____________________________________________________________

I'm not a fan


There is an initiative in this house right now to cut spending to the bone. See, we need to, for a lot of reasons. It seems as though we have agreed, tacitly to not run the air unless one of our bodies begins to melt or catch fire... or both. As such, we are running window fans (on a scientifically devised intake/exhaust permutation), a stick fan, the furnace fan; and I am presently writing this in the buff in a swimming ppool filled with ice and anti-freeze.

No, I didn't mistype ppool. I can say for sure there is some extra 'p' in it.
____________________________________________________________

Radio Paradise

I have said it hear before, about a year ago if I recall, that Radio Paradise is really good stuff. It is listener supported and so there are some exhortations to donate money, but otherwise commercial free. There are short talk interludes, always the same man who sounds like he is on a really mellow trip courtesy of the fine people at Xanax and Humbolt County's finest- Fresh from the bag and into your bong. Seriously, this guy makes Venus Flytrap's on air persona sound like a spasmodic gym teacher with OCD.

I wish I just recorded the last 45 minute set. Jazzy blues moving through a little electronic fusion jazz (think US3), getting caught in a little Traffic while stopping by Eric Clapton's place, and ending up finally at Bob Marley's house to listen to the incredible rockabilly guitar of Jimmy Thackery.

You aren't going to hear this stuff, mixed this way most other places... and I spend a lot of time jumping to the more esoteric corners of satellite radio. Pandora is good for a self-guided tour through a land of music you already know like the back of your hand. This is a trip through a strange and mysterious world, made friendly by the occasional appearance of people you feel like you've known all your life.

I got to go... Otis Redding and I are getting a little Hard to Handle... Pretty little thing, let me light your candle...

1 comment:

  1. I was going to comment, and since you were standing in the door I told you. Now the blogosphere will never know what I said.

    ReplyDelete