Thursday, October 7, 2010

Just One Look

You've got the look

I just got a look. From a woman! It is the first one in a long while, but it was definitely, unapologetically a look. Walking down a long hall, we've seen each other before. She's young and attractive, I'm old and married anyway, so no harm in smiling and saying good morning.

So I do. And she always does the same.

Today, she looked. Up and down, from a long way down the hall and tracked as we got closer. Continuing to look and smile. She was first to say good morning. She kept looking while she did. It was a big smile. If I had turned, I think I would have seen her looking back as she walked on But no, why ruin the moment?

I don't think it was a sultry look, or a flirtatious look. Just an acknowledgment that after a lot of effort as late, I look pretty good. She can see the improvement. The brand new tailored sport coat, perfectly fitted pants and cashmere mock turtle notwithstanding.

What a great feeling, to get a look. It has been a long time. With the exception of my wife, who God bless her still looks (I notice, dear and I appreciate it). I notice people notice her. I sometimes struggle between pride that my wife is look-worthy and abject rage that someone looked at my wife.

Today was my day to get a look. It made me walk taller, smile brighter and be bolder. Today, I got a look. And it feels wonderful.


Life is Good

Why is it that all the people I see with the little stickers on their car that say "Life is Good" are driving cars that are about a half a mile away from exploding in dramatic fashion? Do they need the sticker to convince themselves? Do they come out of their crappy houses all pissed off at the world and then see the sticker and go "Oh yeah! Life is good! Thank you, sticker!"

I notice similar phenomena surrounding other common stickers. The more stickers on a car, the more likely the car is more sticker than car. These cars and their drivers are to be avoided at all costs. I can't think of too many things I would want to advertise by putting it on my car. I admit, I have a concept of people who put a bunch of stickers on their car are sorta lower class.

I have a sticker identifying myself as an alumnus of Central Michigan University. It is discreetly on the lower left corner of my rear window. If I had popped the extra $10.00 I could have had a special license plate exclaiming the same. My wife's car has one of these plates, hence no sticker.


I was surprised to see a man driving a clapped out Camry this morning the back of which was, except for the actual tail light lenses, covered in stickers. I began to read as I got close enough. I expected to see "Visualize Whirled Peas" and "Meat is Murder" or "I love my Corgi" or some crap like that. Not so! This man was a walking (well driving) billboard for every ultra right-wing dogma that could be condensed down to bumper sticker size. Several Ron Paul's (not that he is wrong-headed or anything, but a Ron Paul bumper sticker says a lot about a man and his dedication to his beliefs), Three pro-lifes and a number of Charlton Hestons (including the ubiquitous "...cold dead hands" sticker) and anything else you can think of. He was smoking a cigarette going 60 in the left lane.

He did not yield. Since he was a proclaimed gun owner, I decided to let it be.

I would much rather have an electric sign in my rear window. It would have pre-programmed missives that could be called up at the push of a button. This would allow me to calmly inform my fellow drivers of how I feel about their performance behind the wheel. Occasionally, maybe my sign would even describe my feelings for the other driver him or herself.

There is a more whimsical side of the sign idea. You could compliment people, for instance."Way to yield!" "Thanks for letting me in, your mother should be proud. She did a good job" "Can you believe that guy? Jeez!" and the ever important, "Nice headlights!"

It would extend the whole social networking idea to the roads. Of course, I can see where Mr. Clapped out Camry and his cold dead hands might shoot me if I express my first amendment rights. In fact, I wonder if that would be covered under the free speech clause... Would it be considered inciting speech?


2 comments:

  1. oh yes, the electric sign... you are not the only one with this idea dear. Now make it, market it and make us millions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And ruin the world in the process.

    ReplyDelete