Wednesday, August 18, 2010

For Dave, on His 35th Birthday

My friend Dave and I are political close cognates. We agree on many things and lament about much of the current political situation. I refuse to use this blog to espouse a strong political view as I am certain you, dear reader don't care that much.
A funny thing happened the other day when sitting in Dave's living room, visiting with him. The conversation as it often does drifted to the political. I was busy spouting out my Libertarian bend. To give you the bullet points, I would like to see the smallest vestige of central government left after a major house cleaning. Dave's novel concept was for the yearly budget to start at zero, with each department having to justify its needs to the people directly for a vote.
He called it "Budget Thunderdome", to which I shouted in my best Tina Turner... "We don't need another bureau!"
For those of you too young or too old to know what the hell I am talking about, "Beyond Thunderdome" was the (so far) movie in Mel Gibson's "Mad Max" series starring a bedecked and bedazzled Tina Turner as Aunty Entity wearing chain mail as though she were diving for sharks as soon as the director yelled cut; and sporting the best mullet ever seen this side of a monster truck rally on Redneck Sunday at the Podunk City Fair. Don't even get me started on those earrings!
Anyway, Tina as the uncontested lord and master of a lost post-apocalyptic society featuring a huge fighting sphere for the gladiators of the time called, "Thunderdome."
"We don't need another hero. We don't need to know the way home. All we want is life beyond the Thunderdome." This was the lyric of the main song from the soundtrack, also heavily penned by Ms. Turner.
(See the video)

..Ok, so are you with me so far? Dave did not need the long explanation. We laughed together for awhile. He said "... By the end of the night, I want a verse a bridge and the full chorus."
This is for you, Dave. Happy Birthday!

"We Don't Need Another Bureau (The Libertarian Nation Anthem)"

Out from the ruins, of our constitution, there lies the way they thought was best
Inflated budgets, runaway debt load, who pays the bill - who pays the price
It's a wonder to me why no one cries for change
Living under their thumbs, society deranged

(Chorus)
We don't need another bureau, we don't want more laws and guidelines
We can make our own decisions and live just fine

Taking our money, for programs that fail now, collect from the people who fall behind
Spending our money, on a lost hopeless drug war - my body is mine what is your right?
It's a wonder to me why no one forces change
Take it out to the streets one voice raised up in rage

All the people say!

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
Why won't they let us live our own lives?
Are we only their pawns?
Do they know we have our own minds?
It's time to revolt!

(Chorus Repeats 2X)

3 comments:

  1. Are those earrings or did Princess Leia lose her headpiece???

    ReplyDelete
  2. my question is " who run barter town?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't be better. Thank you, Bill.

    ReplyDelete