Friday, December 16, 2011

On Christopher Hitchens

I am not qualified to speak on the specific works of Mr. Hitchens, as I admit to never having read a thing he wrote. This is not because I chose to be ignorant, it is because I simply refuse to read anything about religion as I am not interested in what you believe or don't.
Such is the surity of my belief, which I incidentally have not simply acquired or inherited without great thought and repeated personal proof. I am not searching for anything and thus do not need a primer from anyone else.
I know who he was. I know what his theology was, (and it was, ironically a theology with dogma unto itself), and I did not agree.
Upon his death, I am simply filled with deep curiosity. What is death like, Mr. Hitchens?
If he was right, I could not ever, will not ever, know the answer, because my mind cannot contemplate complete nothingness; and if it could, my mind would cease to exist upon my death and there would be no me.
While Mr. Hitchens was clearly unafraid of death, I am too. It is amazing that the same fearlessness of leaving this mortal coil can be reached through such diametrically opposed beliefs.
Maybe the takeaway here should be that there is commonality to be found amongst us all.
What I fail to understand is why believers disregard disbelievers out of hand as evil and disbelievers regard believers as killers, war mongers in the name of a god that they have created for convenience and/or soft-headed cultists. None of this is true on the face or otherwise.
I don't believe Mr. Hitchens regarded believers with a great deal of respect. I feel this did not move the ball much in the great (greatest?) debate.
Rest In Peace, Mr. Hitchens. See you on the other side... I should like to have tea with you upon my arrival if you will have me. I think I would find you fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment