Sunday, June 24, 2012

How Many Dozen in a Gallon?

I worked this morning. I even skipped church to work, which is forbidden on some sort of stone tablet somewhere. And yet, those stone tablets don't concern themselves with my deadlines. After church, I made breakfast for Em and me and then my sister called. That took another hour.

After a busy morning, it was time for a little "Bill time". I bought all I needed for an oil change for the Vette yesterday and so started to work. It was while under the car I decided the transmission needed to be serviced as well. The once cherry red and sweet smelling fluid had become dark and musty, a telltale sign that the time had come.

This is one of those jobs that a trained monkey, grease or otherwise could do in his sleep. That's why I was doing it. But said hypothetical grease monkey in my story has a lift and such. And I don't. So what takes 10 minutes for Mr. Lube to do, it took me 4 hours from start to stop, including  a trip to the parts store to buy what I needed to support the trans service, which was sorta a snap decision to do.

My manual said I needed 6 pints of fluid. So I got to the store, stopped the man from selling me the wrong part, even though he SWORE it was the right part (parts men these days only know what a computer tells them and that is a problem, but it is a problem for me to discuss with people who actually care, so I will move on), went to pick up the transmission fluid and the one I grabbed had a broken seal that spilled all over my fresh white tee shirt.

You know, the clean one I changed into to go to the parts store.

Anyhow, I got distracted by all this and left the parts store with 2 quarts of transmission fluid. The book said I needed six pints. Why it didn't just say 3 quarts, I don't know. Quarts are the most common units of measure for fluids to be sold in.

So, everything went well. I got it all up and in and tight, (used my new torque wrench that I liberated from my Dad in January), and surprise, no leaks.

I didn't even draw blood as is customary in these matters.

Everything went perfectly... except I am a quart low.

But you probably already knew that.

No comments:

Post a Comment