Thursday, October 24, 2013

Songs in the Key of Life

Have you ever watched an unedited, or raw scene of a movie without the soundtrack? The music in the background of life is of major importance, though we seldom recognize that unless it becomes conspicuous in its absence.

I get disappointed when my life's soundtrack is less than optimal. For instance the other day, Glen Frey's 1980s hit "You Belong to the City", one of the world's worst ever songs was on the radio. I  snapped out of my driving coma about halfway through and changed channels just in time to hear the last three notes of a rare, live cut of Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter", one of the world's best songs.

This proves to a long held determination of mine. I am a radio loser. I obsessively scan up and down the dial in order to find the best song for the moment. Ruminate on that a second. I didn't say the best song. I said the best song -  for the moment.

Have I explained that I know I'm mentally ill?

I scan so much that Emily, on the occasion of traveling with me, brings ear plugs and a lot to do. This somewhat softens the utter annoyance elicited by my irrational behavior. This behavior pays off exactly often enough to keep me doing it - and not one time more. Yesterday right before turning into my neighborhood, I noticed the ominous color of the sky as "Hazy Shade of Winter", by Simon and Garfunkel started as if on cue. "Yes, it is", I said to Msrs. Simon and Garfunkel as though they could hear me.

But mostly it seems as if the only station I get is WEND. That's right, all the ends of all your favorite songs, all the time. WEND, the last word in radio. Ha. Get it?

I scan mostly because I don't want to miss whatever is on the other channel. I have the full-zoot hardcore satellite radio package and while listening to it, I can't help but wonder, "what's on the other channel?" Sure, maybe I'm listening to a good song, but what if there is a great song one or twenty channels away that is more perfect for this moment?

"Carefree Highway", by Gordon Lightfoot is a great song, but you don't want to hear it sitting in a line of traffic. Similarly, "I Want Candy" isn't appropriate for a fund raiser in support of Diabetes research.

Being mentally ill is hard. You should pity me.

I began this post several days ago and sat on it, because to illustrate my point, I had endeavored to make a comprehensive list of songs that I never skip over. That list became approximately 300 songs long and was still so incomplete as to be worthless.

I never even made it to Bob Dylan, incomplete.

It's clear that atop my various and sundry ailments of the mind that I am a hopeless music obsessive. I don't need help, or want it even. It just feels good to admit it.

I attended a funeral today for the grandmother of my friend Dave. I had not the pleasure of ever knowing the decedent; from the celebration of her long life and the people in attendance, I believe that was my loss. The service was typical of someone who had strong relationships, strong faith and strong community ties. There were people from all aspects of her full, rich life.

There were, as you may expect, a few tears; though there was much more laughter and camaraderie. What made it for me was the selected hymns. "How Great Thou Art" and "It Is Well With My Soul".
Everyone knows the former, but for those unfamiliar with the latter, I shall include here the end of the final stanza, which I believe will help you understand.

                       And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight
                       the clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
                       The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend,
                       even so, it is well with my soul! (Text by Horatio G. Spafford)


A wonderful selection by which to send off a beloved soul to the arms of her Savior.

That's all I'm saying here. Music is a gift of the universe to all mankind. It is a shame to waste our ability to hear and appreciate it on unworthy examples. Good music, like good people is all around you. And just as it is time well spent to surround yourself with good people, it is necessary to have an appropriate soundtrack playing at all times.

That's why I am proud to be born an obsessive scanner and I'll die an obsessive scanner! Maybe literally... you can miss a lot of what's going on out the windshield by looking at the radio too much.

"How do I know a song is perfect for the moment, Bill", you ask? It's the one that when it starts, you reflexively have the physical reaction that you were hoping for... and maybe an involuntary, "Yes!" comes out of your mouth.

In no other way can man feel more in line with the universe.  But don't listen to me... I'm clearly a nut.

Blog title credit: Stevie Wonder





No comments:

Post a Comment