Friday, January 25, 2013

Poker... I damn near killed her

I played poker last night with a group of guys who have become friends through my friend, Jason. I wouldn't have known any of these guys were it not for that mutual association, but over the past couple years, I suppose I have burrowed enough into their group that I can be considered "one of them."

That means I'm on the low end of the totem pole so to speak, not having been there for years and years of stories and inside jokes. I circumvent that by dominating the conversation and making everything about me. That's how you win friends, right?

Moving on.

I have missed poker several times in a row because of my erratic, (yet somehow at the same time consistent), travel schedule. I was delighted to be able to respond "yes" to this week's game, held last night at Karl's house, our de facto venue.

The long and the short is, I have only finished in the money one time. The rest of the time I have been a loser. One time, I was first out on an Ace-high straight and lost to a  flush that I just didn't see. I lost to Jason, who was also my ride, which meant I was thrust into the enviable and highly esteemed position of "all-time dealer" for the rest of the night. Did I say enviable and esteemed? I meant dreaded and lamentable.

Last night, I tried to outlast Eric, whose pile of chips was about equal to mine. Problem was, my cards went cold a couple hands before his and he outlasted me - By one hand. I missed the money by one hand. And because Karl said so at the beginning of the night, (remember, it's Karl's house, so we kinda let him make up stuff at-will so we have somewhere to play)," 4th is in charge of food next time", I didn't get any money, AND I have more responsibility.

In short, it was kinda like my last 'promotion'. And the one before that, come to think of it. I need a career counselor. 

Moving on.

And because it was Jason's turn to drive, (kinda, but not really since we hadn't discussed it, but we had been switching on and off and it was his turn), and he bugged out at the last minute, I didn't even drink. So there I was. Defeated. Sober. Tired.

But, I couldn't have that much fun at the bar for $20.00.And because it's a friendly game with friendly people in a friendly environment, it doesn't really matter who wins or loses, or who spills what on whom. Someone almost always spills something on someone. What matters is that we have an excuse other than sports to hang out. A lot of these guys golf together in the summer. I avoid golf courses like whores avoid church.

But we have poker. Win, lose or draw, it's always a good time.



1 comment: