Thursday, March 22, 2012

...A Long Time Gone

A Note to GRRIM

Yes, blog, it has been over a month and I haven't written a word. It is my hope you would not take that matter of fact personally as I have been extremely busy and needed to make priorities for myself.

You see, work has me traveling a lot and when I am not traveling, I am sitting at my computer putting out spreadsheets and proposals. After a day of that, I am loathe to sit at the computer... for fun. Because it seems like more of a chore at that point and I don't write a blog for money.

I write proposals for money and I have not stopped writing in the 31 days since last we met. So, get off your high-horse. No one reads you anyway.

Show 'N' Tell

In and amongst the long hours and traveling, there has been plenty of time for other pursuits. I have finished the storm window restoration in the dining room just in time for the earliest, warmest, unprecidentedest spring in the history of man- because I am, if nothing else, a lover of irony.


I have also been working on a new budget-minded stereo for the Corvette. Here are some pics, since this stuff is always better when you see pics. The first one is of the original dash speakers as they were when I removed them. This will give you some idea of the genesis of this project.














Here is the custom enclosure I have built for the rear of the car to accommodate the amp, 2 6x9s and a 6 inch subwoofer. It is fitted to the rear wheel arches and looks great in the car.












Here is the back of the box. You can see the amp
and subwoofer. The output side of the amp is
wired and ready. the input side wires are laid
out and run in the car. When I clean it all up, you
will not see any wires.
Access to the box for maintenance or space is
relatively easy, requiring perhaps 20 minutes to
disconnect and remove the box if needed.






The box will be finished in the blue vinyl which is not the "exact" match I was hoping for. But, it's in the ball park and the interior is already a plethora of new and old carpet and upholstery with varying patina because of sun bleaching and what-not, so in the end, it's good enough.











Here is a pic of the back of the car where the box will fit. You can see the power wire to the amp in the picure. All the wires are hidden under trim and carpet. The box's edges fit up tight against the wheel wells and match the contours for a nice, finished look. There is still room for the T-tops to be stored and/or some small soft bags for trips.







This is the new head unit.














This is the center console trim binnacle. It needs to be "modified" a little to make room for the head unit. Note the old-timey dual-knob setup from back in the day. That is what needs to be cut to fit the new deck. I need a dremel tool as mine STBd last year.










Here is a picture of my neat, tidy, organized, dry comfortable space where I am doing this install. Oh, wait, nope, that's my trash heap of a moldering garage.

What you can't see from this picture is the car sitting on stands because the three days the guy needed to restore my wheels has turned into more than a week. I really hope to get the refreshed wheels back and new tires, (pictured). How nice it would be to get some cruising in with a new stereo and nice shiny wheels and tires!




As you can see, I have many other interests than just this blog. Sorry it's been so long since a post, but in the summer, (and though it's only March, it IS summer), I like to focus on my outdoor pursuits.

With that being said, time to go rake and get ready to put down crabgrass killer... it's gonna be a bumper crop for crabgrass this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment