Monday, January 16, 2012

A Week With the Fam

Em and I got back from my parents' house in Las Vegas yesterday. Thank God for smooth, on-time flights and no hassles in either direction. In fact, everything about this trip was relaxed and went as planned.

We surprised my Mom for a momentous birthday. I won't say she's 70, because it's apparently not nice to say peoples' ages for all the world to hear. Back in October, my sister called me and told me she and my Dad had cooked up a scheme to surprise Mom for her big day.

It was touch and go there for a bit while I figured out work. Thankfully it did all work out and in three stages Mom was surprised- First by Emily and I, then by my sister, Peggy, (who looks nothing like the Peggy from the Capital One commercials) mid-week and then by my Aunt and Uncle on her birthday and for the rest of the weekend.

As a family, we aren't close... geographically. I often think that is a bit of a blessing because, let's face it, family like too much of any good thing can have its own set of challenges. But we are close in all other senses of the term and it was really nice to all be together without agendas or the need to rush. It was almost like an extended afternoon visit.

Which is to say, this was not an especially exciting vacation. It was a fulfilling, relaxing thoroughly enjoyable one with people I love dearly and whom I miss already. My family all looks good, is healthy and happy and faces no insurmountable tribulations at this time, so there was no stress or issues. They all let me be a smart-ass and more importantly let me win a cribbage and Scrabble so I wouldn't sulk; which is why being a sore loser is totally the way to go.

We ate too much good food, got some great views up on a nearby mountain that is among the highest peaks in Nevada and we shopped. And shopped. And shopped! I didn't lose any money at the tables, because I didn't gamble. My blackjack app on the way home reminded me why. Every hand is a potential loser. I didn't feel much like losing.

It is of course good to be home. Too bad about the snow, but it is inevitable. It has been so nice up to now I won't complain. Our excellent neighbors plowed the drive and took care of the cats and the mail. Still more excellent friends chauffeured us to, from, betwixt and between the airport. The cats were so happy to see us, even they cuddled up together and slept literally on top of me last night... and that's like Isreal and Palestine getting together and sipping out of a root beer float with two straws. That's kind of a nerd joke so if you don't get it, think of it like the president of the chess club and the head cheerleader hooking up. If you don't get that, you are an loser, a nerd and grossly uninformed. But you're reading this, so you can't be all bad. So, for you, it's like a Vulcan and a Romulan holding hands in the holodeck.

Back to work now as reality has roared back full force. I guess in the end it is rain that makes sun so sweet and work that makes play so necessary. Whatever lies in the future, this last week will truly be a blessing and a fondly enduring memory for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment